Be More Like a Celebrity! (Get Dental Implants Today)
On the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, actress Demi Moore revealed a picture of her missing front teeth, which she said she wore away due to high levels of stress. Her teeth are back now, and while it’s obvious why she got them replaced (she does work in front of a camera after all), a full smile isn’t something that is reserved only for celebrities. Dental implants are a great choice for a lot of people with missing teeth, and we at Brodsky Orthodontics want to make sure you know all the information on the process to help you make an educated decision.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants replace your teeth with metal posts or frames that provide a strong foundation for artificial teeth that are shaped and designed to match your natural teeth.
What are the different types of dental implants?
Dental implants fall into two major categories:
- Endosteal implants: For these implants, metal posts are surgically implanted directly onto the jawbone. After the gum tissue heals, a second surgery connects the post to the implant, and the artificial tooth (or teeth) are then attached to each post individually or grouped in a bridge.
- Subperiosteal implants: In this process, a metal frame is fitted onto the jawbone and set just below the gum tissue. After the tissue heals, posts are attached to the frame and protrude out of the gums. Finally, your artificial teeth are mounted onto the posts.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Appearance: The most obvious benefit. Dental implants not only replenish your smile with a full set of teeth but look and feel the most like your original teeth. And since they’re fused with bone, they become permanent.
- Durability: Other procedures such as dental bridges last somewhere between five and ten years, but they typically must be replaced at some point. Dental implants may need periodic adjustments, but they can last a lifetime with proper care.
- Retain Natural Smile: When a face loses teeth, it can sag and appear sunken. And while some dental replacement options allow your appearance to change over time, dental implants keep your natural face shape and smile with their strong foundation.
- Better Speech: Removable dentures can make it hard to speak, particularly if they are fit poorly and slip within your mouth. Dental implants are locked in place so you can speak without any worry of slippage.
- Protect Your Bone: When you have empty spaces in your mouth from lost teeth, additional health issues could be on their way. When it isn’t being used to support teeth, your jawbone can deteriorate and lose both its strength and firmness. Dental implants are the only dental restoration procedure that both preserves and stimulates natural bone, which helps bone growth and deters bone loss.
- No Cavities: Your replacement teeth can never have cavities, but you obviously still have to visit your dentist regularly and clean and care for both your replacement teeth, your real ones, and your gums and mouth.
- Easier Eating: Sliding dentures can mean both constant repositioning and difficulty chewing many foods. Since dental implants function like your own teeth, you can eat painlessly and with confidence.
- Improving The Health of Your Other Teeth: Procedures such as tooth-supported bridges require you to grind down other teeth to make room for the additions. Since dental implants don’t alter nearby teeth, you leave more of your original teeth intact, which improves long-term oral health. Individual implants also grant easier access between teeth, which improves overall oral hygiene.
- Predictability: When it comes to your oral health, you want predictability, and dental implants have a proven track record of reliable, long-term successful outcomes. Dental implants have a success rate of up to 98%.
Dental implants are a great option for people who want a fresh, full, and rejuvenated smile. If you’re contemplating dental implants or have any additional questions about the procedure, please feel free to contact us at Brodsky Orthodontics.