Ask Dr. Brodsky: Which foods should I avoid while wearing braces?
Thanks for your question. For the first day or so in your new braces, stick to soft foods. Avoid tough meats, hard breads and raw vegetables. Before long, you'll be able to bite a cucumber and other raw vegetables/foods again. But you'll need to protect your orthodontic appliances when you eat for as long as you're wearing braces.
Foods you'll definitely want to avoid during your treatment include:
* Chewy foods: bagels, hard rolls, licorice
* Crunchy foods: popcorn, ice, chips
* Sticky foods: caramels, gum
* Hard foods: nuts, candy
* Foods you have to bite into: corn on the cob, apples, carrots
* Chewing on hard things (for example, pens, pencils or fingernails) can damage the braces. Damaged braces will cause treatment to take longer.