February Marks National Children’s Dental Health Month
February is National Children's Dental Health Month and we thought we'd promote good oral hygiene among our patients with a few tips and tricks, courtesy of the American Dental Association, or ADA.
• Teeth brushing techniques: It takes only two minutes to properly brush using short, gentle strokes and devoting extra attention to the gumline, areas around fillings and hard-to-reach areas such as the back teeth.
• Flossing: hold the floss snugly between thumbs and index finger and insert it between each of the teeth, making sure to go beneath the gumline and curving the floss around the base of each tooth.
• Snack wisely: choose healthy snacks such as cheese, fruits and vegetables and avoid sticky, chewy candies that can stick to the teeth. If you eat these snacks, be sure to brush after doing so.
• Carbonated or sugary drinks: these drinks create acids that can damage the teeth when mixed with saliva, so they should be avoided altogether. If you're going to drink one of these beverages, don't sip on it throughout the day. Rather, drink it and then brush your teeth.
• Regular dental visits: in addition to seeing Drs. Brodsky, you should visit your dentist for professional check-ups and teeth cleaning appointments about every six months.
National Children's Dental Health Month, now in its 60th year, aims to increase awareness about the importance of kids' oral health. If you have any questions about keeping your mouth healthy, or about your treatment with Brodsky Orthodontics, please feel free togive us a call!